Mini Pork Sage, Apple and Cider Pies
Makes 6-8 individual pies
Cooking time – about 30 minutes
- 450g (1lb) lean minced pork
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 eating apple, cored and sliced
- 30ml (2tbsp) fresh sage, chopped
- 300ml (½pt) cider or apple juice
- 15-30ml (1-2tbsp) gravy granules
- 500g packet pre-made shortcrust pastry
- Plain flour for rolling
How to cook
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4-5, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and gently fry the mince and onion for about 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Add the apple, seasoning, sage and cider, and bring to the boil. Add the gravy granules to thicken sauce. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Cut the pastry into 6-8 equal parts and roll out into rough circles. Place the pastry on a small piece of non-stick baking paper. Take a small ramekin/pie dish/deep muffin tin and, picking the pastry up on the paper, line the dish/tin (paper to dish). Push the pastry into the edges and corners, and roughly line.
- Take large spoonfuls of the mince mixture and almost fill the dishes/tins.
- Fold the pastry over to form a lid and roughly pinch the edges to seal.
- Place onto a baking tray. Cook in a preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and then pull out of the pie dishes using the edges of the lining paper – simple!
- Serve hot or warm as a snack or main dish.