Roast Loin of Pork with Sloe Gin and Walnut Stuffing
Cooking time: 30 minutes per 450g / ½kg (1lb) plus 30 mins (medium)*
- 1kg (2.2lbs) Lean pork loin joint on the bone
- 50g (2oz) Dried cranberries
- 60ml (4tbsp) Sloe gin
- 50g (2oz) Walnuts
- 450g (1lb) Pork sausage meat (about 6 sausages)
- 100g (4oz) Breadcrumbs made from stale bread or fruit loaf
- Pinch mixed spice
- Pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180ᵒC, 350ᵒF.
- Place cranberries in a small bowl with the sloe gin and allow to soak for 30-60 minutes.
- Dry the outside of the meat and score deeply using a sharp knife.
- Place into a bowl the sausage meat, breadcrumbs, spices and walnuts. Mix well together.
- Carefully take joint and make a deep large cut into the fatty point of the meat (not through the eye of the meat but towards the edge where the meat is most fatty).
- Add the cranberries to the stuffing and mix thoroughly.
- Take the stuffing and push into this hole. Any remaining stuffing can be shaped into large balls & cooked alongside the joint for about 20 minutes.
- Weigh the stuffed joint and calculate the cooking time*
- Brush with oil and sprinkle on salt and rub into the fat. Place on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated time.
- Remove joint from the oven and allow to stand for at least 10 minutes before carving.
- Save the cooking juices to make the gravy & add a good measure of Sloe gin to the gravy while making.
- Serve with the stuffing balls (if made with any remaining stuffing), roasted parsnips and all your favourite traditional trimmings – Happy Christmas!